Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Worm God

Today I talked with Husband’s psychiatrist, and one of her comments was about his keen sense of humor. “He is really funny”, she said.
I outwardly agreed, but inwardly I wondered how she would evaluate the worm-god incident that took place in our home several years ago.
Ron, whom we have known since all of us were early 20something, talked about it for years afterward.
A friend was leaving to attend seminary, and we invited maybe two dozen church acquaintances for a going-away gathering. Everyone crowded around tables of food and activities designed for a positive send-off of this warm and fun lady. The afternoon was upbeat and casual.
I remember the sun shining through the patio doors, and select smiling faces. Chatter and comments bounced around the room until I heard a collective gasp of breath and immediate laughter.
As I looked toward the stairs leading up to the bedrooms, I couldn’t believe it. Husband’s voice broke the laughter as he stood there in a hastily designed costume.
Over his swim trunks, he wore a large white towel pinned like a diaper and another towel wrapped like a turban over his head. His chest and feet were bare, and there was an object in his hand like a scepter. It was the back brush I bought from Avon.
“I am the worm god,” he announced in a deep and royal voice.
Honestly, I cannot tell you what else he said. I cannot remember why he chose such a costume or public display. We never drink or serve alcohol, and he does not do recreational drugs.
I do remember people commenting on the expression on my face. To say I was incredulous would be an extreme understatement. I was totally shocked, and I likely turned a grayish-white color.
He stood there with his scepter high in the air, talking about his kingdom of worms.
It seems several people were competing with stories about cleaning up yards and other activities associated with early fall. Someone said something about how worms could take care of leaves and other foliage. Possibly it was Husband who mentioned the worms in attempt to justify his practice of getting out of lawn work.
All I know I was not involved in the conversation, and those who were tried to outdo each other in their comments on worms and worm gods. They probably dragged it out too long, and within that group, rivalry was not unusual.
In those days Husband could not resist the temptation for one-upmanship. One of the guests remembers that as he stood on the landing, he burst out in a mock spiritual chant. “All, hail, the mighty worm god!”  That just sent people into deeper fits of laughter.
I continued to stand there wondering what in the world was happening. However, I don’t remember being surprised that he would pull such a stunt. When I mention impulsive behaviors, I know what I am talking about because he is a master of impulsivity or the lack of inhibition. That was definitely not inhibited behavior.
I think anyone else would have been a laughing stock, but Husband has always been the comedian and source of humor. People like him, even when he does something as extreme as being the worm god. At times, he needs immediate reinforcement and attention, but without that need, I would not have these interesting stories to share.



No comments:

Post a Comment