Friday, August 30, 2013

ADHD Eating and Exercising


Last week, one of Husband’s doctors ordered routine blood work. Then she phoned with a recommendation for him to see his primary physician.

High blood sugars. Low calcium. 

I still don’t quite know the implications of low calcium. I read what I could find on the Internet, but I don’t like what it says.

What did the doctor say about the blood sugars?”  I asked this morning after Hubby saw his physician.

“He said all the cokes I drink and the apple juice are likely reasons why my sugars are so high.”

Like I didn’t know that, right? So I pressed onward. “Did he make a comment about the low calcium?”

“No, he ordered more blood work,” Husband said as he showed me the bandage on his arm and handed me the appointment card with a date three months from now.

I slid the card into his wallet, but I did make note the date in my personal planner.

Getting information from that man about important details is like pulling hens’ teeth.

At breakfast, which was really quite healthy, I continued. “So what should we do?”

He responded by asking me how often I check my own blood sugars, and I admitted I no longer bother with it. “So, my care plan is not your responsibility,” he said.

In a way it is. I can help you remain accountable.”

I waited to hear him outline new life changes. He didn’t say it.

We know both of us could write a book on healthy eating and how to discipline eating habits. However, neither of us feels up to being a hypocrite about the issue.

“I visited a new exercise gym with Oldest Daughter yesterday. It’s noncritical, and I think we could use it three or four times per week. They have great treadmills,” I told him.

“What about the bikes? Do they have bikes?”

Oh, yes, and they have many other choices in equipment. You know we are not going to ride or walk in our neighborhood. It isn’t the place to do so.”

He nodded. He didn’t make a firm commitment, but I interpreted the nod as a positive.

A more disciplined diet and an exercise schedule would benefit blood sugars, calcium deficiency, and ADHD. Frequent diet recommendations include: a high-protein diet, fewer simple carbohydrates and more complex carbohydrates, such as vegetables and some fruits, more omega-3 fatty acids, such as is in fish, walnuts, Brazil nuts, and olive and canola oil, or even in supplements.

“Do you think we really have a choice?”  I asked.

“No.” he simply replied.

I am merely laying this on the table. I’m just saying it. Our children will read this blog and use it as a justification to keep us accountable. Together. This is a together thing.

At McNay&Voth, our primary mission is to encourage and support all persons with ADHD.

We aspire to help adults realize and develop the skills they will need for moving forward in life. That would include knowing about eating and ADHD.

If you are an adult with ADHD and who struggles with life issues, we invite you to contact us THIS WEEK.

Set up an appointment for a free consultation. Reach us at www.coachadhd.com, or 316-655-9807.

We will help you set effective goals and build skills.

Because we care about you,

Dr. Atha McNay and McNay & Voth Gateway Community

No comments:

Post a Comment