Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Women and Girls with ADHD


 

“I am afraid I am going to fail again.”

“I am tired of being a failure.”

“I just do not want to fail anymore.”

These are direct quotes I get when talking with women and girls who are persons with ADHD. The diagnosis of ADHD came from qualified mental health professionals, but the feelings of failure came from life.

The fear resulted from the years when these females experienced functioning problems in all types of social and family settings.

In school, girls with ADHD often get lost in the goings-on of the classroom.

“I was the perfect little girl,” a woman recently told me. “I obeyed all the rules, and I was kind. However, I just didn’t seem to understand what was going on most of the time. I felt lost or out of it.”

 Other than school, what was your life like?” I asked.

You mean at home? It wasn’t much better. My bedroom looked like a storm had taken place in it,” she told me.

Hurricane syndrome is my own favorite term for it. Of course, many people live in Hurricane Rooms, but they are persons with ADHD.

Another woman said, “I am rather quiet now, but as a kid, I was really hyper. Teachers had a hard time getting me to sit on my butt. I preferred to sit on my knees with my feet over the back of the chair. One teacher complained that I showed my panties all the time as if showing my panties was the worst thing going on with me.”

I understand what you are saying, but exposed panties really are socially inappropriate, and teachers prefer socially appropriate behavior.”

She laughed along with me at my dry humor.

Teachers also prefer time management when homework gets turned in on time, or the student arrives at school on time. Bosses also prefer assignments completed per deadline and employees who are working at their desks on time.

Women with ADHD share they often fail to manage time or tasks well.

At least two women tell me they had their first babies at ages 16 and 17.

So was it because a boy paid attention to you and said nice things to you?”

No,” said the first one. “It was an impulsive decision. I didn’t stop to think through the consequences or even the right and wrong of it. I guess we call it immediate gratification.” She paused before she continued, “Yeah, gratification that came with a huge belly ache during labor.”

One of the saddest parts of our conversations centers on how these women think their children dislike or mock them because of the ADHD.

“So, which one of them is ADHD? Remember it is a genetic-based disorder.”

I like to throw that one at the children who talk to me about their ADHD parents. It’s to say, “Be careful. Your future kids may say the same thing about you one day.”

I’m rewarded when I see their faces contort with pain and apprehension.

If you are a female with ADHD, and you experience the confusion and disappointments associated with ADHD, we invite you to visit McNay&Voth.

We can meet by phone, face-to-face, or across Skype or Gmail Chat.

Contact us at www.coachadhd.conm or phone 316-771-7557.

We sincerely care,

Dr. Atha McNay and McNay&Voth Gateway Community

 

No comments:

Post a Comment